Wednesday 3 March 2010

Shoot 'Em Up - There goes my love rocket red

I really wanted to like this film as it contains all the elements that garner my interest. Cheap plot, crazy violence and Bellucci. But it just comes across as a poor Crank imitation. Unfortunately for the viewer Clive Owen is no Jason Statham. Apart from having a pretty bland name he has about as much charisma as Keanu Reeves after a lobotomy, playing a tree. And in a film like this Charisma is king.

Like I said, it's not all bad and I do want to like it more, it's just that at times, crazy that they are, the set pieces look a little too staged. Skidding under a table like you on a luge doesn't look cool and if you look like you're on a wire, you look like you're on a wire.

That's about all I can say really. Paul Giamatti is the only person on show giving this film some charm. Monica is starting to look like a forty year old actress and even the Henchmen for Hire don't have any redeeming features. In a world without The Stath then this might be better but the guy has made these films his own.

No comments: